Additional Rule for ScrappinChat
09-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Additional Rule for ScrappinChat
The mod team at ScrappinChat strives to run on the smallest, simplest set of rules we can get by with. Basically common sense. But nonetheless we have found it necessary to add an additional rule.

Your posts should reflect your opinion and how you feel, not how you think someone else might feel.

Christie
Personal Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/christie.speich
Author Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/ChristieSpeichAuthor
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/scrappinnaturalmama
Blog: http://www.christiespeich.com/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Re: Additional Rule for ScrappinChat
Oh dear.
Find all posts by this user
09-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Yes mom.
09-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Huh? What's that supposed to mean?
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2008, 01:27 PM
THANK YOU.
09-24-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm lost.
09-24-2008, 02:31 PM
It should go without saying, I know. One would assume that when you are posting you are voicing your own opinion and not speaking for others. One doesn't get to decide how others feel. :wacko:

It's only starting to become a problem on a specific section of SC, but the mods want to cut it off before it grows out of control. If you're baffled, it's probably not a rule you need to worry about breaking, because it's just common sense.

Christie
09-24-2008, 09:06 PM
It means you can't say "Your post might make SOME PEOPLE think ..." or "your post might offend SOME PEOPLE."

If it offends you, own it.

If it doesn't offend you, leave it alone.

Be kinder than necessary, because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Still scrapbooking the old fashioned way.
09-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Oh! I think I get it now!
09-25-2008, 05:54 AM
Oh, good grief.

You might as well call this the "Suite Sioux" rule, then. I own what I say. But I don't see an issue with saying, "Wow...that's pretty bold. If I were a member of X sub-set, I'd be horribly offended."

Apparently, some do.

So I guess we're micro-managing what everyone says now.

Ok, then.

SuiteSioux...Queen of Tact
09-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Wow, Sue. That's pretty bold. If I were someone who gets offended by people getting offended by people speculating about the potential of people getting offended, I'd be horribly offended.
09-25-2008, 01:44 PM
LOL!
09-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Sorry you don't like it, Sue, and choose to see things that way.

Christie
09-25-2008, 02:59 PM
I just find it highly ironic.

I've been told SEVERAL times by at least one person that if I don't like what someone says, I can leave. Or ignore them.

But someone doesn't like what *I* say, and we need a RULE?

I guess I'm flattered, actually. :lol:

Well...and I think it's pathetic that no moderator thought it might be better to perhaps tell me privately. If I was the one causing trouble, did we really need a public announcement?

But your board, your rules. Rock on.

09-25-2008, 04:01 PM
SuiteSioux Wrote:If I was the one causing trouble, did we really need a public announcement?

You're the one who made the "public announcement." I just find it highly ironic. :wink:
09-25-2008, 05:06 PM
SuiteSioux Wrote:Well...and I think it's pathetic that no moderator thought it might be better to perhaps tell me privately. If I was the one causing trouble, did we really need a public announcement?

I agree with both these statements. Why make a big annoucement and just confuse most of us if it was one person you needed to talk to?

But, she's right on the second one, too. I think most people would agree.
09-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Annie in PA Wrote:
SuiteSioux Wrote:Well...and I think it's pathetic that no moderator thought it might be better to perhaps tell me privately. If I was the one causing trouble, did we really need a public announcement?

I agree with both these statements. Why make a big annoucement and just confuse most of us if it was one person you needed to talk to?

But, she's right on the second one, too. I think most people would agree.

This board has run smoothly since its inception with a few commonsense rules, which apply across the board to everyone. As I understand it, the mods (I'm not one, BTW) try to be as "hands-off" as possible. They are not running around "talking to" people behind the scenes. The rules are posted up front for everyone to see, so that every person knows the standards expected for this community. A few rules and standards are necessary for harmonious coexistence in any community. In this community, there are a VERY few rules - some of which are so obvious that some people are confused when they have to be explicitly stated. But still, the same rules apply to everyone, so it's only right that everyone is told what they are.
09-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Blue Pigeon, I appreciate what you are saying. It shouldn't be necessary to control everything, and that is EXACTLY why I find this whole thing ridiculous.

Let's be clear: this is not a rule that applies to everyone. This is a rule for ME because I expressed an opinion that someone said something offensive. I said, "If I were a member of the group you just insulted, I'd be personally offended." I believe that comment had to do with saying that Palin's dd's pregnancy was an appalling scandal. I said that if I were the mother of an unwed teen, I'd be offended.

I was told I don't speak for that group. It wasn't my place to call anyone out for that.

When another thread came up regarding the election/race, it again got contentious. I expressed that some people were making statements that would be offensive to minorities.

I was told I do not have the right to take offense to that. I don't speak for them.

So because THAT bothered someone, there is a new rule here. If the rule is going to apply to us all, then I feel we should all be aware of what the harm was so that no one else makes that terrible mistake of advocating for others.

09-25-2008, 05:53 PM
My post and Blue Pigeon's post show this is a rule that's silly. I said "most people" she said "some people"...isn't that what we're not supposed to do based on the rule?

If someone is bothered by what someone else says, that person can tell the other that she's bothered. We're all grown ups. The offended and offender should be able to hash it out.

Isn't that why you guys started a whole new board because over at Scrap Share they started making rules about what you could talk about and how to talk about it? When you go down the road of starting to dictate how to talk, you're getting dangerously close to dictating what to talk about.

That's how I, personally, me only feel about that.
09-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Annie in PA Wrote:If someone is bothered by what someone else says, that person can tell the other that she's bothered. We're all grown ups.

Absolutely.
09-26-2008, 03:29 AM
Agreed. If something bothers you, by all means speak up. But if something doesn't bother you, you don't need to point out that it might bother someone else. By the same token, we don't want anyone to feel that they can't express their opinion because someone else might get offended by it.

Free discussion is encouraged here. But in order to have that, we need to maintain a level of respect and friendliness that doesn't include slapping people down for making comments. Things like "if you hate CM so much, why don't you just quit," would fall into this category.

Sue, I'm sorry you think this rule is only about you. It's not. It's about all of us, and I for one fully expected we'd have to clarify it as the election got closer. Smile.

Be kinder than necessary, because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

09-26-2008, 05:41 AM
Nicole Wrote:Agreed. If something bothers you, by all means speak up. But if something doesn't bother you, you don't need to point out that it might bother someone else. By the same token, we don't want anyone to feel that they can't express their opinion because someone else might get offended by it.

Sue, I'm sorry you think this rule is only about you. It's not. It's about all of us, and I for one fully expected we'd have to clarify it as the election got closer. Smile.

This is utterly ridiculous. You are contradicting yourself.

Speak up...but don't speak up if it's going to offend...unless by not speaking up you aren't able to express yourself and get offended.

:???:

Again...let's be very clear: anyone who is aware of the situation knows exactly why this rule is here.

09-26-2008, 06:04 AM
Speak up for yourself. It seems crystal clear to me.

But above all, play nice. Those who have been active on this board from the beginning are used to the way we do things here. As we get new people or those that only drop in to stir things up on Hot Topics, that's when we start to get complaints.

There HAVE been complaints about the tone of several posts lately. Some people can't see what the problem is, but others can tell things are not the way we've come to expect here.

The Mod team has "spoken up." Angry, defensive arguing doesn't "offend" me, but it's sure annoying.

09-26-2008, 07:10 AM
Nicole Wrote:Angry, defensive arguing doesn't "offend" me, but it's sure annoying.

Well, on that we agree. So I'll try to stay away from those users who do that so that my responses to them won't force you to invoke the SS Rule. Smile

10-17-2008, 08:00 AM
I just wanted to say that in the three weeks since this transpired, I have tried to be very good and polite here.

I am not going to purposely cause trouble.

Should anyone else feel the need to privately e-mail me to scold me for the above posts, rest assured that I am officially done with this issue and will continue to try to be on my best behavior. Smile